Registration now open for a one-day celebration of the art of filmmaking
Held at French Institute June 8
Manhattan Edit Workshop (MEWShop), the cutting-edge authorized digital training destination for post-production and content creators, revealed its all-star list of guest speakers and panelists for Inside The Cutting Room: Sight, Sound and Story, a special one-day symposium for the creative community. “Building on the momentum of many successful events focusing on film editors, it seems a natural move to celebrate all of the talent involved in the process,” says Josh Apter, founder and president of Manhattan Edit Workshop.“From sound design and visual effects to groundbreaking transmedia projects, post-production is about using all of the elements of sight, sound and story to create a truly unique experience. Anyone interested in what happens when the cameras stop rolling in the fast-evolving craft of visual storytelling is going to find something that speaks to them here.”
Held at the famed French Institute in Manhattan on Saturday, June 8, 2013, Inside The Cutting Room: Sight, Sound and Story’s prestigious guest lineup features Oscar winners and industry visionaries including:
· Glenn Allen, VFX artist from Gravity Works – “The DaVinci Code,” “The Adjustment Bureau”
· Eugene Gearty, MPSE – “The Departed,” “Inside Man,” “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”
· Jerry Greenberg, A.C.E. – “The French Connection,” “Apocalypse Now,” “Kramer vs. Kramer”
· Chris Healer, VFX artist from The Molecule – “Beasts of the Southern Wild,” “Elementary”
· Alan Heim, A.C.E. – “Network,” “All That Jazz,” “Lenny”
· Susan Morse, A.C.E. – “Manhattan,” “Arthur,” “The Warriors,” “Hannah and Her Sisters”
· Tom Malmros, B-Reel – “Hotel 66,” Arcade Fire’s “The Wilderness Downtown”
· Bill Pankow, A.C.E. – “The Untouchables,” “Carlito’s Way,” “Drumline”
· Michael Berenbaum, A.C.E. – “Before Night Falls,” “Sex and the City,” “The Americans”
· Evan Schechtman, @radical.media – “The Johnny Cash Project,” Sting “Appumentary”
· Phil Stockton, MPSE – “Hugo,” “Shutter Island,” “Brokeback Mountain,” “Life of Pi”
· David Zeiff, editor – “McConkey,” “Metallica: Some Kind of Monster,” “TV Nation”
Inside The Cutting Room Panel Topics
Guest speakers will participate in a wide range of panels chaired by industry luminaries and VIPs. These interactive sessions include:
· New York in the ‘70s: NYC Legends Discuss their Work and their Favorite Moments from this Revolutionary Era in American Cinema – Moderated by author and film historian Bobbie O’Steen
· Motion Picture Sound Editors Sound Show: The “Life of Pi” Soundscape from Production Audio to Final Mix – Moderated by MPSE board member and sound editor Ahmad Shirazi
· VFX: Behind the Green Screen and the Integral Role of the Visual Effects Artist – Moderated by Ross Shain, 2012 Oscar winner and CMO of Imagineer
· Anatomy of a Scene: Documentary and Narrative Editors Deconstruct their Work – Moderated by filmmaker and Manhattan Edit Workshop owner Josh Apter
· Interactive Media: Blurring the Lines Between Post and Production – Moderated by Art of the Guillotine’s Gordon Burkell
“The ‘70s was a time when there were many truly great directors and editors working in New York City,” comments Bill Pankow, a panelist for New York in the ‘70s. “I can’t imagine my career without the lessons I learned from these masters in this pre-digital age, and I’m looking forward to sharing these experiences at ‘Inside the Cutting Room.’”
Please click HERE for a description of panel topics, panelists and moderators. Stay tuned for further details.
Where Art and Technology Meet
No edit room story can be fully told without some insight to the technical achievements that help bring it to fruition. Industry innovators from Autodesk, Blackmagic Design, EditShare, HP, Imagineer and others will introduce our panel discussions and showcase their work at our networking reception and onsite technology lab, where the very latest in production and post-production solutions will be on display.
“As a filmmaker of 20 years, I understand first-hand the close connection between art and technology,” says Andy Liebman, founder and CEO of EditShare. “Participating in events like ‘Inside the Cutting Room’ gives us that perfect forum to discuss the challenges of setting up efficient workflows and helps us design better tools to support the needs of storytellers.”
Register for Inside The Cutting Room: Sight, Sound, and Story
Inside The Cutting Room: Sight, Sound and Story will take place at the French Institute at 55 East 59th Street. Admission is $89.00, with discounts available for students and select partner organizations. A networking party with open bar, hors d’oeuvres and sponsored giveaways is included in the price.
To register, click HERE.
About Manhattan Edit Workshop – Certified Training in New York City and Your City
Headquartered in downtown New York, Manhattan Edit Workshop was founded in 2002 with the goal of providing cutting-edge instruction on Apple®, Adobe® and Avid® platforms. Since then, Mewshop has added Digital Cinema Production classes, DaVinci Resolve, Autodesk® Smoke®, Assimilate Scratch training and a two-week documentary film production course to its already impressive curriculum. Mewshop’s signature Six-Week Intensive is a jump-start for anyone looking for a career in post-production, while weekend and one-week courses introduce and solidify core editing concepts.
Corporate and group training offer a customized curriculum, either in-house or on-site, for professionals eager to learn a new skill or to build on existing ones. The facility’s focus on small workshops, highly skilled and certified faculty, and a results-oriented curriculum have quickly won it the reputation as New York’s premier post-production teaching facility.
Follow @mewshop on Twitter and Facebook. For more information on Manhattan Edit Workshop please visit: mewshop.com.
–Manhattan Edit Workshop Press Release